Our Mission Statement
To promote cycling in the Geelong region, celebrating its unparalleled potential to contribute to the physical, social, environmental and economic well being of our community.
- To increase participation of the community in cycling,
- To improve public acceptance of cycling as a legitimate and desirable means of transport,
- To advocate the development and maintenance of a safe cycling network and other appropriate cycling facilities and programs,
- To increase public awareness of the physical, social, environmental and economic benefits of cycling,
- To facilitate a range of cycling activities,
- To act as a focal point for information on cycling issues, activities and resources in the Geelong region.
A brief history…
- Our club began in 1999 and focuses on providing enjoyable and educational cycling for both beginning and experienced riders.
- Cycling Geelong was incorporated in April, 2002.
- Our rides explore the byways of Geelong and extend regularly to many parts of the State. Members proudly carry our logo in major events, such as Around the Bay in a Day, and even overseas.
- Cycling Geelong supports and provides many programs which aim to encourage and educate a broad cross section of riders, e.g. innovative courses designed for women to savour the delights of riding, leisurely Saturday river rides, breakfast rides, supported overnight touring and dual-distance rides.
- Cycling Geelong rides emphasise support, companionship and a love of experiencing the great outdoors.
- Since 2017, we are proud to partner with MACS and Geelong Sustainability as part of Cycling Without Age, a worldwide organisation bringing the joys of cycling to the aged, infirm and those who for various reasons, cannot cycle.
- Cycling Geelong is a member of Bike Safe Geelong and a corporate subscriber to The Bicycle Show on 94.7 The Pulse
Our activities include…
- Club rides every Monday, Thursday, Saturdays and Sundays (20km to 120km distance).
- 9am Monday morning social ride, starting from Balyang Sanctuary carpark.
- 9am Saturday morning 20km social ride around the Barwon River, starting from Balyang Sanctuary carpark – non members are welcome.
- 9am Thursday morning 36km social ride to Drysdale via the BRT, starting from corner of Carr St and Breakwater Rd, South Geelong.
- Weekly mid-week On Ya Bike! series of rides during October to celebrate Seniors Month.
- Regular posting of ride reports and other cycling-related news items on our website.
- Friendship and socialising with other cyclists.
- Weekend Cycling Trips.
- An opportunity to participate in or volunteer for courses about bike education and learning maintenance skills.
- Social Dinner Meetings with Guest Speakers.
- Visit our facebook page
- President: Kevin Clingan
- Vice-President: Keith Primus
- Secretary: Grace Blau
- Treasurer: Linda Salamy
- Ride Coordinator: Dave Simpson
- Tina Gordon (Membership)
- David Salamy (Web Coordinator and represents the club at COGG’s Cycling Infrastructure Meetings)
- Helen Lyth
- Dirk van der Burg
- Barbara van der Burg
- Margy McIntyre
SOCIAL COORDINATORS – Stephanie and Geoff Andrews
- Alan Marshall, Rod Charles, Heather Howard, David Jones, Nancy Jones, Helen Lyth
In 2018 the President’s Award was created and donated to Cycling Geelong, by Peter Smith. It is awarded annually at the club Christmas party, by the President.
Recipients: 2018 – Tina Gordon, 2019 – Allan Marshall and Kelly Rowe, 2020 – Heather Howard, 2021 – Helen Lyth.