Our Mission Statement
To promote cycling in the Geelong region, celebrating its unparalleled potential to contribute to the physical, social, environmental and economic well being of our community.
- To increase participation of the community in cycling,
- To improve public acceptance of cycling as a legitimate and desirable means of transport,
- To advocate the development and maintenance of a safe cycling network and other appropriate cycling facilities and programs,
- To increase public awareness of the physical, social, environmental and economic benefits of cycling,
- To facilitate a range of cycling activities,
- To act as a focal point for information on cycling issues, activities and resources in the Geelong region.
A brief history…
- Our club began in 1999 and focuses on providing enjoyable and educational cycling for both beginning and experienced riders.
- Cycling Geelong was incorporated in April, 2002.
- Our rides explore the byways of Geelong and extend regularly to many parts of the State. Members proudly carry our logo in major events, such as Around the Bay in a Day, and even overseas.
- Cycling Geelong supports and provides many programs which aim to encourage and educate a broad cross section of riders, e.g. innovative courses designed for women to savour the delights of riding, leisurely Saturday river rides, breakfast rides, supported overnight touring and dual-distance rides.
- Cycling Geelong rides emphasise support, companionship and a love of experiencing the great outdoors.
- Since 2017, we are proud to partner with MACS and Geelong Sustainability as part of Cycling Without Age, a worldwide organisation bringing the joys of cycling to the aged, infirm and those who for various reasons, cannot cycle.
- Cycling Geelong is a member of Bike Safe Geelong and a corporate subscriber to The Bicycle Show on 94.7 The Pulse
Our activities include…
- Club rides every Thursday, Saturdays and Sundays (20km to 120km distance).
- Monthly joint ride with the Geelong Touring Cycle Club.
- 9am Saturday morning social ride around the Barwon River, starting from Balyang Sanctuary carpark – non members are welcome.
- Weekly mid-week On Ya Bike! series of rides during October to celebrate Seniors Month.
- Regular posting of ride reports and other cycling-related news items on our website.
- Friendship and socialising with other cyclists.
- Weekend Cycling Trips.
- An opportunity to participate in or volunteer for courses about bike education and learning maintenance skills.
- Social Dinner Meetings with Guest Speakers.
- Visit our facebook page
- President: Helen Lyth
- Vice President: Dirk van der Burg
- Treasurer: David Fisher
- Secretary: Barbara Van der Burg
- Dave Simpson (Ride Coordinator)
- Tina Gordon (Membership)
- Geoff & Stephanie Andrews (Social Secretary)
- David Salamy (Cycling Infrastructure Advisory Group)
- Kevin Clingan
- Heather Howard (Presenter, The Bicycle Show, 11am Saturday, 94.7 The Pulse)
- Margy McIntyre
- Doug Merritt
- Rod Charles, Heather Howard, David Jones, Nancy Jones, Helen Lyth, Alan Marshall
Web coordinator: Helen Lyth