Our Mission Statement
To promote cycling in the Geelong region, celebrating its unparalleled potential to contribute to the physical, social, environmental and economic well being of our community.
- To increase participation of the community in cycling,
- To improve public acceptance of cycling as a legitimate and desirable means of transport,
- To advocate the development and maintenance of a safe cycling network and other appropriate cycling facilities and programs,
- To increase public awareness of the physical, social, environmental and economic benefits of cycling,
- To facilitate a range of cycling activities,
- To act as a focal point for information on cycling issues, activities and resources in the Geelong region.
A brief history…
- Our club began in 1999 and focusses on providing enjoyable and educational cycling for both beginning and experienced riders.
- Our rides explore the byways of Geelong and extend regularly to many parts of the State. Members proudly carry our logo in major events, such as Around the Bay in a Day, and even overseas.
- Cycling Geelong supports and provides many programs which aim to encourage and educate a broad cross section of riders, e.g. innovative courses designed for women to savour the delights of riding, leisurely Saturday river rides, breakfast rides, supported overnight touring and dual-distance rides.
- Cycling Geelong rides emphasise support, companionship and a love of experiencing the great outdoors.
Our activities include…
- Club rides every Thursday, Saturdays and Sundays (20km to 120km distance).
- Monthly joint ride with the Geelong Touring Cycle Club.
- 9am Saturday morning social ride around the Barwon River, starting from Balyang Sanctuary carpark – non members are welcome.
- Weekly mid-week On Ya Bike! series of rides during October to celebrate Seniors Month.
- Quarterly Newsletter – keeping you informed of the Club’s news and events.
- Friendship and socialising with other cyclists.
- Weekend Cycling Trips.
- An opportunity to participate in or volunteer for courses about bike education and learning maintenance skills.
- Social Dinner Meetings with Guest Speakers.
- President: John Miro
- Vice President: Maree Burn
- Treasurer: David Fisher
- Secretary: Heather Howard
- Dave Simpson (Ride Coordinator)
- Tina Gordon (Membership)
- Geoff & Stephanie Andrews (Social Secretary)
- Helen Lyth (Web co-ordinator)
- Karen Anderson
- Heather Howard
- Rod Charles, Heather Howard, David Jones, Nancy Jones, Helen Lyth, Alan Marshall