Geelong – Cycle City – It’s crunch time!We need the support of all cyclists to ensure that the vital North South bike route becomes a reality.
Geelong City Council will vote on Tuesday, April 30th. After extensive research and community feedback, council officers have found the best route and the are recommending a separated path as the safest option.
However, a small but very vocal group of traders is lobbying hard to oppose any change to the existing road structure.
Help ensure your own and other bike riders’ safe cycling by coming along to the meeting, asking a question, and lobbying your elected Councillors.
- Contact Councillors. Find your ward councillors here. Send an email or make contact them by phone.
- Attend the council meeting: Tuesday, April 30th, 7.00pm – Geelong City Hall, Gheringhap Street, Geelong (Meeting agenda available by 5pm, Friday 26th April here.)
- Ask a question at the meeting. (Questions need to be submitted by noon, Tuesday 30th April on the CoGG website. You must be present at the meeting to ask your question in person.)
Build it and they will come!
- All around the world, when safe cycling infrastructure is provided, people will use it.
- In places where cycling is safe, more women choose cycling (a 50/50 female/male balance is a sure sign that people see cycling as a safe option).
- Geelong is a perfect place to cycle – good climate, few hills, relatively compact.
- There is a commitment from our City to improve Geelong’s cycling infrastructure
In the 1980s, Geelong was the ‘go-to’ place for best practice in cycling infrastructure. Let’s return Geelong to its rightful place –
GEELONG – CYCLE CITY!
Examples of Australasian best practice in cycling infrastructure: