An Eventful Thursday ride to Drysdale 26 Oct 2017

Well that was certainly an event packed ride to Drysdale.

All started out well, we had a good group of 16 riders at our usual showgrounds start point. The weather was very pleasant with just a light wind.

I had noticed on my ride to the start point that there was a lot of broken glass on the track between Wilsons and Coppards Roads, leftovers from Geelong Cup patrons I guess, so we were planning to take extra caution on that piece of the track. We met Doug on the trail before we got to the start of the glass and he joined the group at the back. Within minutes though there was a cry of ‘rider down’ and we backtracked to find that there had been a crash between Doug and Michael, who was tailender, and that Doug had done a somersault off his bike and landed on his shoulder, and that Michael had also fallen and had hit his knee. Doug said he was going to abandon the ride and return home and Michael and Paul set off to accompany him back to his house.

The rest of the group set off again and split at the Bellarine Hwy crossing, as usual, so that some people could take the road option to Leopold. As the trail riders group got to Whitehorse Rd George announced that he had a puncture so we stopped to help him fix it. Eventually we got going again and the rest of the ride to Cafe Zoo was fine.


Heading back after coffee all was going well with the ride until, just west of Curlewis Rd, there was another shout of ‘rider down’. This time we saw that George had taken a very heavy fall onto the bitumen. It looked like he had attempted to dodge an overhanging bush on the left and had clipped Carla’s bike and then lost control of his bike and had fallen. He had a cut above his left eye and a nasty looking gash to his kneecap. We decided to call for an ambulance and Geoff phoned 000 and then spent several minutes describing what had happened and where we were located. Members of the group tried to make George comfortable and to keep him warm and shielded from the sun as he sat on the bitumen and to staunch the bloodflow from the cut on his head. We also tried, and failed, to fend off a sustained attack from what seemed like an inexhaustable number of mozzies that swarmed around us as we waited.

We called George’s emergency contact number and spoke to his wife to let her know what had happened. Geoff said that he would ride back up to Sth Geelong, get his car, and drive back to Curlewis Rd to collect George’s bike. Bill walked with his and George’s bike down to Curlewis Rd.

After about 30 minutes an ambulance and crew and a paramedic arrived and took control of the situation. We made sure that all of George’s personal possessions, phone, wallet, etc were gathered up and handed over to the ambulance crew and they got him onto the stretcher and into the ambulance.

The group got back on bikes and headed off, with the ambulance following us down the trail but to add to the events of the day Dirk declared that he had a puncture, so Russell, Lynton and Neville stayed behind to help.

Eventually we got back to the showgrounds start point, no more incidents to report. Geoff was there, with bikes on the car. We phoned George’s wife to ask if it was OK to drop his bike back and to get an update on George’s situation but it was too early to give us any news.

Thanks to all the group for working together to help out on such an eventful ride. We wish George a speedy recovery.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.