Thank you to outgoing Committee
At the AGM held on July 18th we said good bye to outgoing committee members who’ve done so much for our club. Minutes of the AGM is available from members section of the website.
Thank you to previous Secretary Tim Warfe who stepped into the “huge shoes” left by David Jones 2 years ago. Thanks also to his wife Kirsty who joined our general committee for about 6 months.
Big thank you to Maree Burn whose been an integral Committee members for many years including the last 2 as Vice president. I couldn’t convince her to step up to the President’s role but she’ll continue to be a central part of Cycling Geelong and the Geelong cycling community. I don’t need to remind you of her pivotal role in Ted Wilson’s Bicycle Plan for Geelong and her bicycle safety training for school children. She has done much to encourage women’s cycling through her women’s ride program and women’s only rides.
Welcome new Committee
We’re lucky to have back most of the previous executive committee including: our fantastic membership secretary Tina Gordon, our professional accountant and Treasurer David Fisher; out tireless Ride Coordinator Dave Simpson, our indefatigable Social Secretary duo of Stephanie and Geoff Andrews.
I’m personally very pleased how Dave has made the new Thursday morning ride such a success – well done Dave. We’re lucky to have Helen Lyth as our new Vice president – she’ll be multi tasking by continuing her amazing work on our website as webmaster – thank you Helen.
We welcome Barbara Van der Berg as the new Club Secretary and 2 new members into the General Committee: Dirk and Margy.
Full list 2017/2018 Committee:
- John Miro – President
- Helen Lyth – Vice President & Web Master
- Barbara Van der Berg – Secretary
- David Fisher – Treasurer
- Tina Gordon – Membership Secretary
- Stephanie & Geoff Andrews – Social Secretary
- General Committee Members:
- Heather Howard – Life Member
- Karen Anderson
- Margy McIntyre
- Dirk Van Der Berg
- For any contribution to our website: email Helen
- For all membership related enquiry: email Tina
- For all ride related enquiry: email Dave
- For all social activity enquiry: email Stephanie/Geoff
- For all general enquiry: email Barb
Some Reminders on what’s coming up
- Around the Bay (Sun Oct 8) – Robert Turnour will once gain coordinate our Around the Bay marshalling team. He’ll no doubt contact interested members. This is our biggest fundraiser each year. Thank you Robert. (Editor’s note: At last count Robert was still looking for some marshals and someone to drive a sag wagon. If you’re interested please contact Robert.)
- Allan Marshall’s Maryborough weekend ride Sept 29 – Oct 1: check Ride calendar on website: https://cyclinggeelong.com.au/ride-calendar/
Of course this club is a cycling club only because of members who generously organise and lead our rides. Thank you to all ride leaders for Thursday, Saturday and Sunday rides. Special mention must go to Dave Simpson and Helen Lyth. They lead so many rides for our club – thank you.
Thank you also to Michael Lindsay coordinating the Saturday ride behind the scene; Sandra McCran for checking our mail; Robert Turnour for organising great Melbourne rides as well as leading our Around the Bay effort.
Our finance is sound and our membership is strong. Let’s all hope for another great 12 months and safe riding.
John – President
For a full account of what happened at the 2017 Annual General Meeting, you can read the minutes, which include all reports in our members’ only section.